Posted by Aimee , Nov 04, 2019
"I downloaded the latest version of the iOS file on the Mac. However, I can't find where these files are? This is my first time updating my iOS system myself. I don't know how to solve this problem?
When we update or downgrade the iOS system, we all need to use the IPSW file. In many cases, after downloading the IPSW file, we don't know how to install the firmware. In this regard, we need to understand what is an IPSW file? The IPSW file is a format for installing iOS firmware to devices such as iPhone, iPad, and iPod. On Apple and Mac, all Apple devices use this format. The downloaded .ipsw file is a compressed archive file containing three Apple Disk Image files. You need iTunes to use the IPSW file. Therefore, please use iTunes to download and install the IPSW file.
If you have already downloaded iOS Firmware IPSW files, you can install IPSW File via iTunes. The operation process is as follows:
1. After connecting the device to your computer, run iTunes.
2. On the left side of the iTunes software interface, select the target iOS device.
3. Windows hold down the SHIFT button (Mac holding down the ALT button). At the same time, click the "Update" button on the iTunes interface.
4. Find the downloaded IPSW File and select it.
5. After clicking "Update", iTunes enters the update process.
6. Once the update is complete, your iPhone will restart.
Note: This method will result in data loss, so choose carefully.
In addition to installing the IPSW firmware via iTunes, you can also install the IPSW file via RecoveryTool Fix Recovery. This recovery tool simplifies the process of updating or downgrading iOS systems. You don't need to download an additional IPSW File, and it won't cause data loss. You only need to use the "iOS System Recovery" function on this auxiliary tool to complete the installation of IPSW File.
1. Download and install the IPSW file installation tool.
2. Connect your iPhone to your computer. Then select "iOS System Recovery".
3. Click the "Start" button and the software will automatically detect the device information. After confirming that the device information is correct, click "Repair".
Note: If you want to install the specified IPSW File, click the "Select" button to import the IPSW File into the tool. Then follow the software interface prompts to complete the installation.
4. After the repair is complete, your device will complete the installation of the IPSW firmware.
In this article, whether you use iTunes or not, we have provided you with a solution. And these methods are available on both iPad and iPod.