Posted by Aimee , Oct 12, 2020
"After updating iOS 12, the iPhone touch screen is unresponsive. The volume up and volume down are available, but I cannot swipe to start the setup. What's wrong? Has anyone else encountered the problem of the touch screen not working? "
iOS is an excellent mobile operating system, but this does not mean it is perfect. Some Apple users have reported several issues related to the iPhone touch screen:
1. The iPhone touch screen does not work when receiving a call.
2. When tapping or swiping the screen, the iPhone touch screen does not respond.
3. After running an app, the phone screen responds intermittently.
4. The iOS device touch screen becomes unresponsive for no reason.
To troubleshoot these iPhone touch screen unresponsive failures, you can refer to some efficient solutions provided in the article.
1. Keep the screen and fingers clean.
When there are foreign objects on the screen or fingers, the response of the phone screen will be disturbed. At this time you can try to remove liquid, oil, and debris from the screen. Then, clean your hands.
2. Adjust the 3D Touch sensitivity on the iPhone.
iPhone touch screen is unresponsive or responds incorrectly, you can check the 3D Touch sensitivity first to make appropriate adjustments.
- Find "Settings" on the Home screen.
- Then click "General" to go to the "Accessibility" item.
- Click "3D Touch" from "Accessibility".
- Turn off or turn on "3D Touch" as needed. Or you can pull down to find the sensitivity adjustment item.
- After adjusting the 3D Touch sensitivity, check if the problem is fixed.
3. Force restart iPhone.
If the iPhone screen does not respond, it may not be possible to restart. At this time, it is more appropriate to perform a forced restart operation.
For older models such as iPhone 6:
- Long press the "Power" button and the "Home" button at the same time.
- Release the button once the Apple logo appears on the screen.
For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- Long press the "Volume Down" button and the "Power" button at the same time.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the held button.
For models above iPhone 8:
- Press and release the "Volume Up" button. Then, press and release the "Volume Down" button.
- Press and hold the "Side" button until the Apple logo appears.
If the iPhone is stuck in the reboot loop during this process, then there is a probability of iOS or software error.
4. Check and free up space on the iPhone.
If the phone's memory space is insufficient, the touch screen will not work. At this time you need to make sure that there is enough storage space for the iPhone.
- Select "Settings" on the Home screen, then go to "General".
- Click the following items in turn:
Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage
- View the status of iPhone memory. Then delete some unnecessary content appropriately.
5. Delete the specific app.
When using certain applications, the iPhone touch screen does not work. This app is the source of the problem. Trying to uninstall it may solve the problem.
- Press and hold the icon of the target application on the home screen.
- Click "Delete App" in the pop-up menu.
- Click "Delete" to confirm the removal operation.
6. Erase the settings and content on the iPhone.
If the cause of the malfunction cannot be determined, then erasing the iPhone is the last resort. Erasing the device will cause permanent data loss, so it is recommended to use iTunes or iCloud to back up all files. If you can't use them for backup, you can use the "iOS Data Backup & Restore" function in RecoveryTool's third-party data tools to back up files. So you don't need to use iTunes or iCloud to backup and restore.
- Select the "Settings" app on the Home screen.
- From "General" to "Reset".
- Find and tap "Erase all content and settings".
- Enter the device password, and then confirm to wipe the iPhone.
These methods are similar to fixing the screen cannot be unlocked by sliding. If you hate troubleshooting one by one, you can also solve the problem with the help of professional tools.
RecoveryTool Fix Recovery is an excellent software that can fix most iOS system problems or software errors without losing data. Therefore, it is worth a try.
1. Download and install this iOS system tool in Windows or Mac.
2. Select "iOS System Recovery". Then connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
3. Tap "Start". After confirming the iPhone information, click "Repair" to download the firmware.
4. Wait for the repair to complete.
A few simple steps will be able to fix the problem of the iPhone touch screen not responding. However, this method cannot repair hardware failures.